Tiara (circa 1845)
"Tiara," the name derived from the cupola which sits like a crown at the top of the home, was built by Frank Cossitt. A beautiful winding solid-walnut stairway leads from the entry hall to the upstairs. A large double parlor, typical of many antebellum homes, takes up the entire western part of the lower floor.
Of interesting note: the owner eventually moved to Illinois where he laid out an exact replica of La Grange, Tennessee, and named it La Grange as well. Also, in 1834, the house was being considered to serve as the courthouse for the proposed new 'Bell County,' which was to be formed from the southern strips of Fayette and Hardeman counties. Two attempts to form the new county proved unsuccessful due to legal technicalities. In addition, the tornado of 1900 which struck La Grange blew the beautiful cupola fifteen miles away to nearby Hickory Valley, Tn, which was later restored intact to its original position. This home, as well as several others in La Grange, served as a hospital during the Civil War.