Built in 1828 by Major Charles Michie, a veteran of the War of 1812, who possessing a land grant for his military services, chose this site for his stately Greek Revival style house. When Federal troops occupied La Grange in 1862, Woodlawn became the Western Tennessee headquarters for General William T. Sherman, and was used as an emergency hospital during the war. It is reputed that Ulysses S. Grant visited Woodlawn as well. Changing hands in 1875, Dr. J. J. Pulliam, who also built Hancock Hall, bought Woodlawn from Mrs. Olivia Michie Winston, and Dr. Pulliam practiced medicine from his office at Woodlawn for many years. In the 1950s, the house was owned by Mr. & Mrs. John Cavender. Today, Woodlawn Plantation contains much of the home's original furnishings.