The original two rooms of this house were built in 1834 by Thomas Gloster Anderson. The house originally faced the old Michigan City Road, which was the beginning point of the famous Grierson cavalry raid. During the Civil War, Twin Gables was owned by the Professor of the La Grange Presbyterian Synodical College, John Rennie Blake, and was occupied by Union soldiers.
It was Professor Blake who added two bedrooms, dining room, entrance hall and living room to the home. In 1892, the Swift family added the Victorian 'gingerbread' to the home. Throughout the years, the various owners each left their own creative mark on Twin Gables. The cornerstone of the Synodical College, which was originally located across the street, is now at the foot of the front steps.