Hancock Hall

Completed in 1857, Hancock Hall was built by Dr. J. J. Pulliam, father to Mrs. Lucy Pulliam Williamson and grandfather to Mr. Peter R. Beasley. According to Mrs. Williamson, Yankee officers took possession of the house in 1861, leaving only three rooms for the Pulliam family, and remained in the house until after the close of the war. General U.S. Grant made note in his memoirs of a pleasant evening spent dining at Hancock Hall on his visit of June 23, 1862. Union General Hurlbut's headquarters was located on the front lawn in 1862, and soldiers pitched their tents in the field in back of the house.