Hatton Cottage (circa 1828)

Hatton Cottage was built by Major Edmund Winston and might be the house referred to in a letter written from La Grange dated October 10, 1835, by James Gilmer and published by the American Philatelic Society in the Nov. 1983 issue: "Six years ago there was but one house in La Grange, and now it is a beautiful and uncommonly flourishing village..." Sometime after 1855, the house was used as Mrs. Slade's School for Boys. The Hatton family purchased the house in 1883, and held title to the property for 75 years, hence the name.