Charles R. Abbott bought the land and built Serenity in 1859. Abbott, a real estate salesman and mule trader, had a large barn for the carloads of mules he would purchase from Texas for re-sale in Memphis and nearby towns. Abbott did not acquire title to the land Serenity sits upon until he could obtain title to adjacent land next to the railroad in order to unload his mules. Mr. and Mrs. Dan Bushnell purchased the home from the Ann Isabella McNamee estate in 1970 and began meticulous restorations. During the Civil war, the home was occupied and used as a hospital.