Gable Villa



Gable Villa was originally built north of La Grange on a 640-acre tract of land given by John Walker Jones to his daughter Ann Eliza and her husband, William Alfred Turner, around 1850. John W. Jones arrived in Tennessee in 1827 and was successful in the management of a new settlement, now known as the Ames Plantation, which was begun by his father-in-law, Micajah Moorman.

Having once stood empty and unused for many years on its original site, the house remained in the family until it was sold by Martha Turner Carter, great-granddaughter of John Walker Jones, and moved to its present location in La Grange. Much rehabilitation and restoration work, completed in the 1990's, resulted in the beautiful home one sees today.