The Parsonage (circa 1839)
The Parsonage is a good example of the "plantation
plain"-style home common in antebellum Tennessee. The land was
acquired, and the house built by a LaGrange citizen who became indebted
and lost the property in 1843. The property was acquired by George P.
Shelton, a prominent LaGrange merchant during the 1840s through the
beginning of 1862 when commerce was suspended because of the Civil War.
Notably, Mr. Shelton deeded a 200-foot lot fronting on Commerce Street
for the building of the first La Grange Colored Mission. At the end of
the 19th Century, The Parsonage became the property of the Methodist
Episcopal Church South, to be used as a parsonage for the circuit-rider
preacher who covered the La Grange, Moscow, and Rossville churches.
The house was used as a parsonage until 1940 when it became a private