Ames Plantation, The Tennessee Agricultural Experiment Station
& Cultural Resources
Written upon the landscape is a great story, penned over the course of history by generations who came before. This story is written not in ink, but with the life and death struggles of explorers who first blazed the trails, with the hardships faced by settlers as they tamed the wilderness, and with the hard work and sacrifices of those who risked everything to build this land that we call home. This story manifests itself today not as words on a page, but as the old log cabin standing against time, as the abandoned cemetery where long forgotten residents buried their dead, and as an array of crafts and traditions now associated with times past.
The Ames Plantation consists of 18,567 acres available for research and educational purposes. The availability of this substantial land resource was made possible under the will of Julia Colony Ames when she died in 1950. The first official work plan between the Ames Trustees and the University of Tennessee administrative officials was executed on March 18, 1954, and has been renewed annually ever since. The Tennessee Agricultural Experiment Station has been in the best position to utilize the resources of the Plantation by directing research on a variety of forestry, wildlife, crop, livestock, and water quality issues.
Visit www.AmesPlantation.org for more information about Ames Plantation and the Tennessee Agricultural Experiment Station. The Ames Plantation is located approximately five miles from La Grange.
( above text written by Jamie Evans, Ames Plantation )
The Wolf River Conservancy
|( Above photos of "Autumn on the Ghost River" are copyrighted 1999 by Naomi Van Tol.|
They are reprinted here with express permission. )
Beginning at LaGrange, Tennessee, the Ghost River section of the Wolf is the largest protected area of wilderness on our river. About 6000 acres of swamp, bottomland forest and upland fields are now in public ownership.
Flowing north from Mississippi through Fayette and Shelby Counties toward the Mississippi River, the Wolf River provides a natural, unspoiled wilderness area for outdoor lovers. The river section is the only unchannelized headwaters of a river in the entire region. The river here has never been altered by draglines or dredges.
The Ghost River section of the river is particularly unique. It is one of the most beautiful, varied and challenging wetland canoe trails in the country. The first canoe trail through the Ghost River section was established in 1990. In a ten-mile section from La Grange to the Bateman Bridge, the trail leads through five distinctly different scenic, wetland communities.
Canoeing on the Wolf River
Dedication of Wolf River statue - June 3, 1998; Statue is located in the Town Park at La Grange.
In 1995, the Wolf River Conservancy used individual pledges totaling $1 million to help save the Ghost from logging and development. Now this land belongs to all of us, and to future generations.
Visit www.wolfriver.org to learn more about the Wolf River Conservancy.
View real-time water flow data for the Wolf River at La Grange at:
The USGS page for Tennessee's La Grange Station #07030392
Memphis Chamber of Commerce
The Fayette County Chamber of Commerce
Visit: Fayette County GenWeb
Visit: MTAS (The University of Tennessee Municipal Technical Advisory Service)
"The La Grange Municipal Charter and Code of Ordinances," codified through 1988, is available on the MTAS site.
The Civil War Trust
Visit our sister city's new web site at:
Visit the "Tennessee Preservation Trust" at:
© Town of LaGrange, Tennessee 2001;
all rights reserved
TOP OF PAGE